Clear All

• 2011 Divisions

NL East:

Braves +450
    Marlins +800
    Mets +2000
    Phillies -300
    Nationals +3000

Love Dan Uggla to the Braves, but closing situation not ideal yet. Not much pop in Marlins bats besides Stanton and Hanley. Though Mets rotation a mess, adding Chris Young is good - they still have lots of pop - worth +2000. Phillies rotation is a lock - holy moly. Nationals have lots of young talent but lots of tier 4 and 5 SPs.

NL Central:

Cubs +400
    Reds +250
    Astros +3000
    Brewers +250
    Pirates +5000
    Cardinals +160

Really hoping the Brewers moves have paid off. Cubs still a far way off despite the new manager. Reds won't sneak up on people this year - so I think they'll be less effective - but I still love their pitching staff. Carlos Lee to have a rebound year, Bill Hall and Clint Barmes helping to stable the middle-infield, they'll need Brett Wallace to have a great year. Pirates of course an afterthought but still have some fun video-game talent (can't wait for MLB 2K11). Cardinals add Berkman at RF, and Ryan Theriot at SS, but I really think the Pujols contract situation hurts this team throughout the year - it'll be hanging over his head. Do they trade Pujols?

NL West:

D'Backs +1200
    Rockies +150
    Dodgers +250
    Padres +1400
    Giants +175

Xavier Nady brought in to LF for Arizona, Duke to SP - not enough talent on this team. Rockies are the team to beat, but won't be sneaking up on anyone else this year. Carlos Gonzalez baby! Gibbons and Thames to platoon at LF for Dodgers, love either addition of Barajas and Nivarro at C, and Guerrier at RHP. Maybin, Hudson, Bartlett, Hawpe, Rod Johnson additions hopefully make up a partial loss of A-Gone. Aaron Harang for Chris Young rotation swap. Though this is another 2K11 team to play with, too much competition for the Padres to get close again. Giants trade Renteria for Miguel Tejada but otherwise remain the same with a strong pitching rotation.

AL East

Orioles +2000
    Red Sox -150
    Yankees +175
    Rays +800
    Blue Jays +1400

Hardy, Reynolds, Lee, Guerrero add some pop to the Orioles lineup, but that will squeeze out someone losing ABs at DH. I really like Luke Scott! Red Sox are definitely the favorite with the additions of Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez. Yankees add Russell Martin, but the bottom of their rotation just isn't talented enough with Nova, Brackman, Mitre... Rays add Ramirez and Damon - two vets at the end of their career. Still have a pretty decent rotation though Hellickson won't be surprising anyone this year. Jays will be fun to watch to see how Bautista shows up this year, also JP Arencibia has a ton of pop, the progression of Kyle Drabek will be interesting too.

AL Central

White Sox +175

Indians +2000
    Tigers +160
    Royals +5000
    Twins +150

I really like the White Sox additions this season, particularily Adam Dunn. He, Konerko, Viciedo have the best 1B top-to-bottom in the league. White Sox have best rotation in the AL. Indians worst team in the league? Santana needs to remain healthy, Sizemore, LaPorta, Brantley, Choo have some great individual talent, but rotation is pretty bad behind Carmona. Adding Victor Martinez helps the Tigers, and they're pretty talented, but have to put together a complete year. Questions at the back of the rotation with Porcello and Oliver, Perry will hurt.

How can you count out the, my, Twins? Every year they rise up from something and stay ultra-competitive or wane out the losers of the division. This year - how will Morneau respond from last July's head injury. Will Mauer perform with his large pay increase? Will the loss of the entire bullpen hurt? The top of the order has Span and Nishioka/Casilla, two speedy guys - you know what you'll get out of Span, but as long as Nishioka/Casilla outperforms Hudson/Punto - Twins fans will be happy. We know what we'll get out of M&M if they stay healthy. Thome at DH will be getting old, but we've got 15+ HRs there. Kubel, Young, Cuddyer, will round out the DH/OF and they'll even give Ben Revere a few at-bats. The Twins hope Danny Valencia finally cures the 3B woes. Starting pitching remains the same from last year, with the Twins agreeing to terms with Pavano and Liriano. Baker/Duensing will split starts at the back. Bullpen has Nathan coming back from Tommy John, but Matt Capps there if he should slow. Pat Neshek also coming back from injuries, they'll need him to provide some much needed innings after the eater Matt Guerrier left for the Dodgers. Mijares, Manship, Hoey, and Perkins will all help the bp-by-committee. I also wouldn't be shocked if the Twins pick up another vet arm as they seem to do annually.

AL West

Angels +200
    A's +300
    Mariners +1100
    Rangers -110

Vernon Wells at RF, Bourjois at CF, Hunter at RF make for an amazing OF. Love the Callaspo addition at 3B for the Angels, as Brandon Wood didn't do nearly enough last year. Angels rotation is stacked. Love their chances this year. Josh Willingham and David DeJesus give the A's some vets, as well as Hedeki Matsui at DH. A's rotation is the same as last year, also have Rich Harden coming in for a spring battle. Seattle Mariners are another team with a lot of fun players, Smoak, Saunders, Ackley but too much inexperience here. Rangers are still hella-talented, but I don't think Adrian Beltre addition helps as much as the Red Sox last year. No warrant, just a hunch for me. The Cliff Lee loss hurts, but toying with Neftali Feliz in the rotation is a mistake. Still a young, talented rotation, but Lee leaving makes me take the Angels.

Picks in bold.

I am ridiculously excited for bases!!! :thumbs:
    NFL 17: 45-47-2 // 48.91% // -10.12
    MMA: 247-332-2 // 42.66% // -6.04
    MLB 17: 151-140-8 // 51.89% // +5.65 ROR // +42.13
    NCAAF 17: 63-49-2 // 56.25% // +6.80
    Updated on 01/13/18
    ---
    One of my 2018 resolutions: no more action gambling.

I agree Ak....It's my strongest season and I am excited for it. Here are some of my early thoughts.

Atlanta +450
    Florida +700
    NY Mets +2000
    Phillly -450
    Wash +6000

I think their is a lot of value in Atlanta. I don't think the Mets or Washington can make any noise as they just don't have enough pitching. And while Florida has some nice parts they have a lot of holes in their lineup, defense and bullpen. With the phillies is everyone goes right and their pitchers are healthy and have career years they'll be great. But Cliff Lee has had some injury issues and he walks a very fine line. His success has largely been a result of him not walking batters while reducing the hits he gives up slightly. If he starts walking more than 1 batter per game he could see some of his success start to erode. He also gave up homers at a higher rate in Philly than anywhere else of late (although sample size is an issue). Oswalt is also at the age where his performance could decline. Last year he had a career year at 32 so with less good luck and a regression to the mean I would be surprised to see his era on the wrong side of 4 as in 2009. And while I don't see any reason for Halladay to falter he has thrown a significant number of innings over the last 5 years. But the key to the Phillies is that they will be very susceptible to good pitching, specifically good LHP. They have a lineup with declining skills and health at several key positions with poor depth behind them. Even with good health I could see them really struggle to score runs. And if Howard got hurt and missed significant time I would have trouble seeing them score any runs. So no matter how good their pitching is I can see a reason for them not to capitalize. Atlanta on the other hand seems to have acquired depth in their lineup, multiple power hitters in Uggla, Heyward and McCann. That along with a very capable and unheralded pitching staff would put them on near even footing with the Fab Four. I also really like Kimbrel and Venters and their nasty stuff and multiple LHP's at the back end of the bullpen. That is a significant advantage over the Phils in that they atleast have the horses to shorten a game if necessary. I'll also be on the Phils under season wins in my prop plays in a few days.

Cubs +400
    Reds +220
    Houston +3500
    Milwaukee +140
    Pitt Doesn't matter
    Cards +400

At these odds I think their is value on the Cards but I don't think they get past the Brewers. The Cubs have 3 solid pitchers and I think Pena plays well for them, after that I think the entire rest of the team will be a mess. They are below average defensively, they strike out too much, they don't hit for power, they don't hit for average and they aren't very fast. Nice Combo. The Reds should be solid with a deep pitching staff and some solid, young bats. I don't see the Reds holes except if they don't use one of their best starters (Travis Wood) in the rotation. I just don't have a good feeling about them repeating their success. The Brewers are a team I really like. They already had a quality NL starter in Wolf and a budding superstar in Gallardo and added 2 high quality AL pitchers in Greinke and Marcum who should feast on NL lineups. The difference between the 7-9 hitters in remarkable, especially for someone like Marcum coming from the AL East. If they get 120 starts our of those 4 and anything close to league average bullpen I don't see how they don't win the division. The huge benefit to the bullpen is also that Greinke and Marcum should both get deep in most games and that will really help to rest them. And they will be fresh when they need to help Gallardo or Wolf when their pitch count is up. They have several plus bats who have shown they are durable so offense shouldn't be a problem. I like the Brewers and the moves they made. As for the Cards I like a lot of their pieces but I don't like think they have a team that Larussa will do a good job with. He seems to want to run off his best young player (Rasmus) and they have a lot of question marks. Can Garcia do it again or does he breakdown? Can Carpenter still do it at 35? Can Westbrook and Lohse give them DD wins? I just don't see it.

DBacks +1300
    Colorado +200
    LAD +225
    SD +1200
    SF Giants +160

These odds are ludicrous in my opinion. I think this will be anyone's division and the Giants at those odds are fools money. I would be surprised if Cain and Lincecum don't have extended stays on the DL and without both of them the Giants are in a lot of trouble. Even with them they barely won the division with timely hitting and excellent pitching. Asking a repeat from Cain, Lince and Sanchez I think is too much. I don't like the Dodgers lineup, makeup, or defense. While their pitching is pretty decent my best guess is that Mattingly learned how to manage his bullpen from Torre. Yeah, that will work out well. Colorado is always in it and should be the favorite I just don't like the value. The Padres on the other hand I think can make it interesting. They know they have to play low scoring games and their pitching and defense are built for that. While AG gave them a lot of offense he was also pitched around in most situations that mattered. There is a lot of room for improvement at every position except 1b so I don't see why the Padres can't get better a lot of other positions to make up for Gonzalez loss. Guys like Hudson, Bartlett and Ludwick are all upgrades over what the Pads were rolling out last season. And they still bring as good or better D. The Dbacks should also be improved but in their park they will need to score runs even with good pitching and I think they need some more high OBP guys sprinkled in. They have talent and power but not a lot of high OBP guys which will result in a lot of solo home runs.

I won't be surprised if the Dodgers and Giants finish in 4th and 5th.
    MLB
    May
    Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
    Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
    Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
    Overall 61-44 +47.1 Units
    Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
    Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

Originally posted by Franchise View Post
      " The Padres on the other hand I think can make it interesting. They know they have to play low scoring games and their pitching and defense are built for that. While AG gave them a lot of offense he was also pitched around in most situations that mattered. There is a lot of room for improvement at every position except 1b so I don't see why the Padres can't get better a lot of other positions to make up for Gonzalez loss. Guys like Hudson, Bartlett and Ludwick are all upgrades over what the Pads were rolling out last season. And they still bring as good or better D. The Dbacks should also be improved but in their park they will need to score runs even with good pitching and I think they need some more high OBP guys sprinkled in. They have talent and power but not a lot of high OBP guys which will result in a lot of solo home runs. "

I 100% agree with you on this...

i havent gotten a jumpstart on mlb yet due too spending alot of my free time watching nccab but im hoping to start and finish the underdog system this year now that i have more free time for betting starting april 1st...

GL this year and GO BRAVES!!:beerbang:
      NCAAF YTD
      Overall

67-46-2 +41.08 units

Comment

Right there with you guys.
        It's going to be a great season.

Angels here...
        I hope picking up Wells pays off and doesn't end up being another Gary Matthews Jr....

Comment

Cannot wait Ver! I love the Angels too, but wow, a mammoth contract to pick up, and in the way of Trout?? I don't get it, really.
          NFL 17: 45-47-2 // 48.91% // -10.12
          MMA: 247-332-2 // 42.66% // -6.04
          MLB 17: 151-140-8 // 51.89% // +5.65 ROR // +42.13
          NCAAF 17: 63-49-2 // 56.25% // +6.80
          Updated on 01/13/18
          ---
          One of my 2018 resolutions: no more action gambling.

Comment

Some thoughts on the AL based on those lines...I didn't double check the changes right now.

AL East

Orioles +2000
            Red Sox -150
            Yankees +175
            Rays +800
            Blue Jays +1400

I don't think the gap is nearly as wide as the general consensus seems to be. IMO NY has a stronger offense and more depth than Boston. They have 3 guys in the middle of the order that should combine for 100+ HR's as well as Swisher and Granderson who should add atleast another 50. I don't think Boston has quite that kind of thunder and I think bigger question marks in guys like Papi (will he hold up all season), Drew (Same thing). While Gonzalez and Crawford are great additions they are replacing two very good offensive seasons from Martinez and Beltre. As for the pitching while NY has a weakness in the questions surrounding their last 3 guys they clearly are the team most capable of acquiring another top starter as the season progresses and other teams can't take on payroll and don't have rotation openings. The market for a Josh Johnson or Felix Hernandez will be limited to NYY and their ability to send Betances in a trade if they choose. I also have questions about Beckett, Lackey and Dice K which in my mind almost makes it more difficult for Boston since they won't be able to replace one of them (specifically Beckett) if he is junk like NY can with Garcia/Colon/Nova. I think they other teams are quality but in the end it will be Boston or NY and I think the + odds are the way to go. NYY will really make a statement early since they have a heavy home schedule and will either jump out to an early lead or fall back and be forced to have a tougher road to climb back on. I think the team that is leading on May 15th wins the division.

AL Central
            White Sox +175
            Indians +2000
            Tigers +160
            Royals +5000
            Twins +150

I think this will be a great division race and I really like the White Sox lineup. I have more questions about their SP than others since I question how quality of a performance you will get out of Buehrle as his stuff decreases, Jackson and his inconsistency and Peavy and his injury and his ability to get people out in the AL. I like the Tigers and their front of the rotation but I have real questions about the back end and how much help Cabrera gets in that lineup. The Twins don't seem to have quite as much as the Sox but they always play good baseball and seem to be there at the end. I think their pitching is helped by their park but really I think this division could go either way. Not enough value on any one team for me to take a shot at who suffers an injury or acquires someone midseason.

AL West

Angels +200
            A's +300
            Mariners +1100
            Rangers -110

I like the value on the A's here. I like their pitching staff to keep them competitive and with so much room for improvement on offense I would be surprised to see them beat out the Angels and Rangers who I feel have plenty of question marks as well. Can Hamilton stay healthy, does Texas have any pitching? I think Wilson was over his head last year and would be surprised if there wasn't a significant regression due to the physical demands and his luck. Losing the innings from Cliff Lee was huge since he rested their bullpen and kind of plugged the dam at the end of the season. What happens now if Wilson is not as great? If Harrison and Hunter and Holland don't make big steps forward in consistency? If Feliz is mishandled? If the rest of the bullpen is as poor as it is right now? As for the Angels they seem to have a few too many solid players and not enough difference makers. If everything comes together their staff could be consistent, their bullpen deep enough and their lineup just potent enough. I just have too many questions about guys like Piniero (Can he be solid?), Santana (Can he be consistent?), Kazmir (Can he give them anything?), Kendrick and Aybar (What are they?), Morales and Hunter and Wells (Are they healthy? How productive?).

GL and enjoy the season everyone.
            MLB
            May
            Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
            Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
            Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
            Overall 61-44 +47.1 Units
            Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
            Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

Working...