Major League Baseball - WTF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major League Baseball - WTF?

Will they ever learn? Why do they have all these home openers in cold-weather cities? Did they not learn from all the cancelled games last year?

We have 3 games postponed or delayed already...and some of the games that will go off will be pretty chilly for the players (risking injury).

You have the season starting in cold places like: NY, CIN, DET, BAL, CLE, CHI, PHI & STL??
    You have warm weather teams (or dome teams) opening on the road: TOR, TB, TEX, LAA, ARI, MIL, SF & HOU. :dunno:

Just plain stupid, IMO...
    Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 03-31-2008, 01:58 PM.

What's the difference if their home opener is the week or next week? There's just as good a chance it rains or snows in every one of those cities next week. It's not even cold in Detroit today as they said it was 51 at first pitch. There is nothing they can do about the rain, just happens to be a ****ty day with one game canceled and two delayed 1 hour. Not really a big deal unless you are one of my friends at the Yankee game, haha....

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
      What's the difference if their home opener is the week or next week? There's just as good a chance it rains or snows in every one of those cities next week. It's not even cold in Detroit today as they said it was 51 at first pitch. There is nothing they can do about the rain, just happens to be a ****ty day with one game canceled and two delayed 1 hour. Not really a big deal unless you are one of my friends at the Yankee game, haha....
      Are you serious? The later in the spring, the less chance it will be cold, snowy or rainy. Pretty simple theory, IMO. Yes, even a week or 2 can make a big difference in probability.

One thing thats almost guranteed, the dome and warm weather cities will not be snowy or cold...why NOT do it??

I don't know...after last year, I would not chance it every year like this. You have all these warm cities, I would start there...just MO...
      Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 03-31-2008, 02:05 PM.

Comment

LOL...Tigers give up 4 runs late to blow their lead. :laughing:

I think anytime I back Detroit this year, it's going to have to be the 5-inning line...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
          Will they ever learn? Why do they have all these home openers in cold-weather cities? Did they not learn from all the cancelled games last year?

We have 3 games postponed or delayed already...and some of the games that will go off will be pretty chilly for the players (risking injury).

You have the season starting in cold places like: NY, CIN, DET, BAL, CLE, CHI, PHI & STL??
          You have warm weather teams (or dome teams) opening on the road: TOR, TB, TEX, LAA, ARI, MIL, SF & HOU. :dunno:

Just plain stupid, IMO...
          You do realize that the World Series has been played in snow before correct?

Comment

Originally posted by NittanyLions94 View Post
            You do realize that the World Series has been played in snow before correct?
            Yeah, so? :dunno: You don't have control over where that is played.

Anyway...lol...I don't care...was just a thought...seems pretty easy to me that it's a possible way get around early season weather problems. Guess I'm alone on that one...
            Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 03-31-2008, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Gooooooooood start for the Sox :laughing: :puke:

Going to be a long year
              Overall Records

Each play is to win the # of units posted unless it's a dog then I'm betting that amount.

Comment

Originally posted by wsox08 View Post
                Gooooooooood start for the Sox :laughing: :puke:

Going to be a long year
                Ouch...lol...Buehrle looks awful, eh?

Comment

Yeah, so? :dunno: You don't have control over where that is played.

Anyway...lol...I don't care...was just a thought...seems pretty easy to me that it's a possible way get around early season weather problems. Guess I'm alone on that one...
                  I was commenting more on the "risking injury" comment. If that was a concern, they would play the WS at a neutral, warm site like the Super Bowl. College baseball starts in mid-late February and the majority of their season is played in cold weather(in the larger portion of the country). These players have all played in cold weather before, some of them for the majority of their lives. Cold weather is not a problem for them.

Comment

Ouch...lol...Buehrle looks awful, eh?
                    His breaking pitches have been close but weren't called and they were killing his other stuff.

Buehrle done after 1 2/3.. 7 runs, 7 hits.

Anyone else think that they should shorten the season?
                    Overall Records

Each play is to win the # of units posted unless it's a dog then I'm betting that amount.

Comment

Someone call Aaron Harang and tell him to stop throwing fastballs down the center of the plate.

Comment

I was commenting more on the "risking injury" comment. If that was a concern, they would play the WS at a neutral, warm site like the Super Bowl. College baseball starts in mid-late February and the majority of their season is played in cold weather(in the larger portion of the country). These players have all played in cold weather before, some of them for the majority of their lives. Cold weather is not a problem for them.
                        You don't understand why the Superbowl is played in a neutral site. Isn't it b/c It is ONE game....how can you play it anywhere else? You'd give the home team an insane advantage. All the other major sports are 7 game finals, including the WS, and can played at the teams home parks.

I agree...it's not a "concern", I just say it is another "possible" problem (IMO) that could be easily avoided. You have warm ballparks, and cold ones. For the "boys of suymmer" game, why not pick the warm ones early? I would. That's all I'm saying. No big deal....just when I saw the freezing fans, and the numerous delays, it reminded me of the Tribe last year, and I thought about why they are doing this.

Oh...and speaking of Superbowls...how many have been played in Green Bay, Buffalo or Cleveland recently? They can control the location...just like MLB could in season openers...
                        Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 03-31-2008, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Someone call Aaron Harang and tell him to stop throwing fastballs down the center of the plate.
                          lol :beerbang:

Comment

Nitt...how 'bout those Pens? :beerbang: :thumbs: :beer2:

Comment

I agree with JML 100% here. With playing the opening series or two at warm cities/dome stadiums will obviously not stop rain outs but it will definitly minimize them. Now what sucks more then no game, a game thats canceled due to weather. This kinda killed the buzz of opening day for me, mostly cuz the jays game was called off.
                              Predictem Record: (1 unit=$25)
                              NHL TOTAL---> 21-17-0 (+10.47 units)
                              CBB TOTAL---> 21-21-1 (-4.72 units)
                              CFB TOTAL---> 0-0-0
                              NBA TOTAL---> 0-0-0
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              2010 TOTAL--->42-38-1 (5.75 units)
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              2009 TOTAL--->198-177-9 (+7.62 units)

Comment

Working...
                              X