Major League Baseball - WTF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
    Are you serious? The later in the spring, the less chance it will be cold, snowy or rainy. Pretty simple theory, IMO. Yes, even a week or 2 can make a big difference in probability.

One thing thats almost guranteed, the dome and warm weather cities will not be snowy or cold...why NOT do it??

I don't know...after last year, I would not chance it every year like this. You have all these warm cities, I would start there...just MO...
    The dome thing obviously goes without saying that it makes sense. Here in the NY/NJ/PHL/WSH "area" though it could be 20 degrees colder next week than it is this week, so I really don't see your point at all. It's not cold here today, it just happens to be raining, and the chance of rain in April (beginning or end) is high regardless was my point.

Canadiens.... :laughing:

Comment

Yeah, so? :dunno: You don't have control over where that is played.

Anyway...lol...I don't care...was just a thought...seems pretty easy to me that it's a possible way get around early season weather problems. Guess I'm alone on that one...
      Haha, I totally get your point JML, but it obviously not that easy. First thing that comes to my head is why should the warm weather teams have to play all their home games early? How is that fair to them, ya know? I'm also guessing organizing an entire MLB schedule is far beyond the depths of what we can imagine in terms of challenges with regard to time constraints, use of buildings, competitive balance issues, and the like. Weather is just one of the numerous factors that goes into the schedule makers formulas and I'm guessing it's pretty much near last on the depth chart (for better or worse).

I wanted to play the Royals plus +200 too damnit!!! :bang: What a day for Gordon, huh? Game saving defensive play and big HR to get his team going. Big year from him I think, biiiig year.

Comment

Nitt...how 'bout those Pens? :beerbang: :thumbs: :beer2:
        Finally at full strength! Geeze, feels like it took long enough. Just hope that Crosby wasn't out too long to develop any sort of chemistry with Hossa and Dupuis. But even if Sid isn't at his top-level in the first round, the line of Sykora-Malkin-Malone has been one of the best in the NHL this year, and I'd feel fine with them carrying the Pens as far as they could.

Just don't let them play Ottawa in Rd. 1 again :beer2:

Comment

Originally posted by Leafs3113 View Post
          I agree with JML 100% here..
          Big surprise......Canadians.......:laughing:

Comment

Originally posted by NittanyLions94 View Post
            :ba:

Comment

Us Canadians stick together lol. Last time we agreed with each other on something others were mostly against it was because were both Leaf fans lol.

Blue Jays ah ah Blue Jays ah ah lets play ball. Stupid rain keeps the doctor from giving them yankees there medicine.
              Predictem Record: (1 unit=$25)
              NHL TOTAL---> 21-17-0 (+10.47 units)
              CBB TOTAL---> 21-21-1 (-4.72 units)
              CFB TOTAL---> 0-0-0
              NBA TOTAL---> 0-0-0
              ---------------------------------------------------
              2010 TOTAL--->42-38-1 (5.75 units)
              ---------------------------------------------------
              2009 TOTAL--->198-177-9 (+7.62 units)

Comment

Originally posted by Leafs3113 View Post
                Us Canadians stick together lol. Last time we agreed with each other on something others were mostly against it was because were both Leaf fans lol.

Blue Jays ah ah Blue Jays ah ah lets play ball. Stupid rain keeps the doctor from giving them yankees there medicine.
                At least the Leafs did something right the other night when they took down the Habs to let the Pens go in to first. :thumbs:

Comment

lol....almost every quote I read from the players, coaches & management today agreed with my opinion about starting the season in domes or the south. Jay's manager said on the Fan radio today that it seems to be such an easy solution to have the games played in domes and southern stadiums for season openers. Called it "ridiculous".

"We'll get through it but there are a couple of domes sitting empty right now," Damon said, referring to Toronto and Tampa. With yesterday's rainout, the Yankees embark on a schedule of 21 games in the next 21 days. "This easily could have been avoided."

It's what happens when you try to schedule games in the northern cities at this time of year," Frank Thomas said with a shrug. "I've seen it happen at least five times in my career on opening day. It makes no sense."

A reporter asked Jeter what he thought of the Yankees and the Blue Jays dealing with rain while the Rogers Centre sat empty in Toronto. “I don’t make the schedule, buddy,” Jeter said. “It would make sense, you would think.”
                  Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 04-01-2008, 10:37 AM.

Comment

:thumbs:
                    a.d.

2021 NHL: (through 02/24/2021)
                    Sides: +17.4 units
                    Totals: +0 units
                    In Game (Not posted) -0.6 units
                    Parlay: -1.8

All 2021 NHL:+14.9 units

Comment

lol....almost every quote I read from the players, coaches & management today agreed with my opinion about starting the season in domes or the south. Jay's manager said on the Fan radio today that it seems to be such an easy solution to have the games played in domes and southern stadiums for season openers. Called it "ridiculous".

"We'll get through it but there are a couple of domes sitting empty right now," Damon said, referring to Toronto and Tampa. With yesterday's rainout, the Yankees embark on a schedule of 21 games in the next 21 days. "This easily could have been avoided."

It's what happens when you try to schedule games in the northern cities at this time of year," Frank Thomas said with a shrug. "I've seen it happen at least five times in my career on opening day. It makes no sense."

A reporter asked Jeter what he thought of the Yankees and the Blue Jays dealing with rain while the Rogers Centre sat empty in Toronto. “I don’t make the schedule, buddy,” Jeter said. “It would make sense, you would think.”
                      JML - I agree with the premise, my point is that it's obviously not an option or it would be done. There are scheduling issues at sites, competitive balance issues with scheduling, etc etc... It's not fair that teams in certain cities have to play all their home games early in the season then be on the road in the dog days of August and in September. Also, in your line of thinking, certain cities would NEVER get to have home game on Opening Day? That's a bit absurd too. I want to go to the Mets home opener next Tuesday and the forecast is for rain. What should the Mets not play at home until May? Yesterday just happend to be a rainy day throughout a majority of this country.

Come on.... It's end of March/April, it rains a lot in this country in April. Boo hoo hoo the poor millionaires have to play baseball 21 days in a row. How will they ever survive making only $300,000 for their 4 hours of "work" each night???
                      Last edited by CuseFan10; 04-01-2008, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I got your opinion yesterday, Cuse. lol. :thumbs: The point of my post today was not to rehash our differing viewpoints on the subject, but to point out that everything I read or heard today from people IN THE GAME OF BASEBALL seemed to agree with the idea.

As for your new points... I wasn't proposing that the northern cities play the first MONTH on the road, or the southern cities get a MONTH of road games in Spetember! lmao...come on. You're exaggerating to back your opinion. It is one or two series to start the year....a measly week...5 or 6 games out of 162! lol. And yes, it might rain next week too....but the PROBABLITY is that the weather will be nicer, the closer it gets to summer. Am I the only one that considers that 2nd Grade logic? And not necessarily the same teams every year, but try and gear it to at least more of the games starting in better situations! Not all...more. You're thinking too rigidly. I only mean gear it more that way in the future. I also doubt it's that big of a scheduling problem...it's not the NBA and NHL where we're dealing with busy multi-use facilities. Most ballparks are baseball only, and these stadiums are sitting empty right now.

Anyway...I just thought about it yesterday, and posted it....it doesn't happen, and really isn't a big issue, I agree....I just bumped this thread because MLB announcers, collumists, players and management were ALL OVER the radio and papers today saying pretty much the exact same thing from what I could tell.

I do agree about the 21 in 21 comment. lol...please, cry me a river... :puke:

Who gives a ****....let's play ball! :beerbang:
                        Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 04-01-2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Isn't there some labor law that says you connot work more than 13 days in a row before a day off???:laughing:

After that, it should be time and a half.

I wanna see my union rep!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X