Division Futures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Division Futures

I was looking at some futures tonight for division winners.

i don't see any value in the mets at 10/17. i was thinking maybe braves at +375 in the nl east

i liked the dodgers at +240 in the nl west

and cardinals 10 to 1 in the central.

i think i would stay away from the al east as either ny or boston will probly win it like usual. just dont think toronto has enough to do it. no value in that division.

indiands at +190 are tempting, but detroit is stacked.. im not much of an al guy so who knows.

Seattle at +210 looks tasty too. nice pitching staff they are putting together.

feel free to comment. i'd like others input on their long shots to win the division as well.

what about the REDS in the NLCentral? They have a pretty good team and the real weakness last year was the pen and they did upgrade that. I don't think the Central is very good and anybody could win it with the exception of the Pirates and maybe the Brew Crew.

I would bet the Cards or REDS or both in the NLCentral.
    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

I like Oakland over Seattle. Oakland always creeps up in the second half. Seattle is a steady team, but can never get the surge they need, but they always seem to find a good slump. Oakland at 7/1 is a bang for your buck.

I like Baltimore this year. Not really sure why, but I think they are going to make some noise.

If the Dodgers dont win their division they are going to look like morons.

Comment

i kind of agree with you. baltimore is a couple years away though. They are too young and have even less pitching than last yr. That organization won't win a division until they get a new owner. Markakis is going to be really good, but i dont see it this yr.

After looking at it, the NL west and NL central are really anyones to take. I could easily see SD or AZ winning the NL west and even CIN in the central, not the pirates because they like the orioles wont win until they get a new owner or move to a bigger market town. No value in CHC though.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
          what about the REDS in the NLCentral? They have a pretty good team and the real weakness last year was the pen and they did upgrade that. I don't think the Central is very good and anybody could win it with the exception of the Pirates and maybe the Brew Crew.

Speaking as an unbiased Cubs fan here (Daws is right in that there is no value here). Reds could contend as they have the bats and a decent enough of a 'pen. Back end of the rotation is gonna hafta step up and they are gonna hafta stay really healthy as well.
          There is no way I see StL contending this year. Not having Carpenter to open the year hurts a lot and I don't think anyone else in the rotation can be counted on besides Wainright. Glaus will get hurt, K-sar Izturis could be their starting SS (:laughing: ), and Albert won't have much protection in that line-up, esp. if Ankiel doesn't pick up where he left off. I can't see them doing better than 4th.
          Brew Crew 2nd least likely to win division in your mind? Wow, b/c that lineup can rake and as long as Sheets is healthy all year and Gagne don't blow a gasket during the close ones, I see them battling for the crown all year.

Predicted finish:
          Cubs (:cross: )
          Brewers
          Reds
          Astros/Cards
          Pirates
          Astros/Cards

Anyways, just my two cents.

Moose
          Moose

"Don't give up! Don't ever give up!" - Jimmy V

Comment

Originally posted by V3r1f13d View Post
            I like Oakland over Seattle. Oakland always creeps up in the second half. Seattle is a steady team, but can never get the surge they need, but they always seem to find a good slump. Oakland at 7/1 is a bang for your buck.
            dude you gotta be kidding me if you think oaklands got a legit shot at the division. I think Texas overtakes them this year. Seattles the only team with a shot at the halos. I don't think the 7/1 for the A's is anywhere near value.

Comment

Originally posted by flmmkrz View Post
              dude you gotta be kidding me if you think oaklands got a legit shot at the division. I think Texas overtakes them this year. Seattles the only team with a shot at the halos. I don't think the 7/1 for the A's is anywhere near value.
              im with flmrrz....NJIT has a better chance of winning the NCAA hoops tourney than OAK has of winning the division. They are going to be playing propsects this year and then some. How in the world are the A's going to overtake the Angels and Seattle? And as flmrrz said, TEX may pass them. They are about 2/1 to finish dead last.
              I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

take the White Sox to finish 4th or 5th in the division :laughing:
                Overall Records

Each play is to win the # of units posted unless it's a dog then I'm betting that amount.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post

:bang:
                  **ALL PLAYS ARE TO WIN 1UNIT UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED**

Comment

[QUOTE=V3r1f13d;133995]I like Oakland over Seattle. Oakland always creeps up in the second half. Seattle is a steady team, but can never get the surge they need, but they always seem to find a good slump. Oakland at 7/1 is a bang for your buck.
                    [QUOTE]

A's are tearing down and rebuilding wouldn't touch that. The Mariners would be a good option. Billy Bean won't admit it but they are going with younger kids and seeing where there talent will be in the future. Would be shocked if they make a play for any competition in the East. I think they will be a good 'fade' team. But what the hell do I know?

Been working through the NL ..
                    Cardinals, I just don't understand. They keep Larussa and don't make any moves for some top quality pitching.I know Dave Duncan is the tops in building pitching, but they need Moses to part the waters with the staff they have. Also, some of the pickups/trades look gawd awful..

Pirates, good fade.
                    Cubs haven't looked yet..
                    Reds are a definate possibility, they seem to have improved where they needed to, But they are the Reds.
                    Brew Crew could be a good bet, but haven't dug deep into them yet..
                    Mets big splash with Santana, if they can finish is the question
                    However, Braves have made some intriguing moves, haven't dug into them yet but will soon.

In the AL I would go Tiggers or Injuns....East, Red Sox are the obvious,

Man am I ready for some bases........

Action without thought is like shooting without aiming.

Comment

I can't believe anyone even mentioned Baltimore with a straight face. lmao. They will likely be the worst team in all MLB. They have a horrible lineup and pitching staff....and play in the AL East, where the Yanks/Bosox are always dominant, the Jays are back healthy with a good lineup and great pitching, and TB might be a surprise in 2008...I see them competing, and finishing 4th well ahead of the O's...

I would play the Orioles under 60 wins this year as a future to be honest. Braves and A's are also in for LONG years, IMO.

I actually like the value in Detroit -140 to win the central. They are going to run away with it, IMO...as the Indians fall back a bit. My other value pick would be the Dbacks to win the NL West....great pitching, and some good young hitters who will step up even more.

I agree that the NL Central, is wide open....everything else seems locked up to me with Boston, Detroit, LAA, Mets & Zona winning their divisions easily....it'll be a year of the NL central and wildcard races...
                      Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 02-27-2008, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Ha, people talk trash about Oakland every year. That team is slept on more than any other team I can think of.

If anyone is going to win the AL West over Anahiem, it's Oakland.

Seattle is a B+ team on its finest day.

Texas might as well recruit my local high shool for relief pitching. They only thing Texas can do is bang, and that's great if you plan on winning 10-6 ball games all year.

It doesn't even matter because the Angel's are still solid. We lost Cabrera but picked up Hunter and Garland. We were stacked as is. I still fear Oakland...

Comment

Ha, people talk trash about Oakland every year. That team is slept on more than any other team I can think of.

If anyone is going to win the AL West over Anahiem, it's Oakland.

Seattle is a B+ team on its finest day.

Texas might as well recruit my local high shool for relief pitching. They only thing Texas can do is bang, and that's great if you plan on winning 10-6 ball games all year.

It doesn't even matter because the Angel's are still solid. We lost Cabrera but picked up Hunter and Garland. We were stacked as is. I still fear Oakland...
                          lol you might be the only one fearing oakland. I don't the players or anyone else is

Comment

Let's see how far Money Ball takes them...

Comment

I like Baltimore this year. Not really sure why, but I think they are going to make some noise.
                              Are you drunk or did you just misread the thread title? Oakland is going to win the AL est? What are you smoking? They traded away their best pitcher and that line-up is one of the worst in all of baseball. They won't be within 15 games of the Mariners or Angels, IMO. I'l ltake 7 to 1 they edge out the rangers for 3rd place, haha... And the Orioles thing is even more absurd. I know you were just making a point that you think they might be headed in the right direction, but they also traded away their only good pitcher and will be lucky to get 70 wins this year in a division with the Red Sox, Yankees, and Blue Jays.

Comment

Working...
                              X