X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Just In!!!! Mets Get Santana

WOOOOHOOO!!!!!!

New York Mets Receive: Johan Santana
    Minnesota Twins Receive: Deolis Guerra, Carlos Gomez, Kevin Mulvey & Phillip Humber

Mets have a 72hr window to work out an extension. The window started early this afternoon.

Comment

Nice news for Mets fans.

Comment

Sad news for baseball fans...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
          Sad news for baseball fans...
          Why? Please don't even compare the Mets to the Yankees or Red Sox. The Mets have stood pat at under $110-115 million and now they lose Glavine's $10 million and will gain Santana's contract (which this year is only $13.25). After next year BOTH Delgado and Pedro come off the books so this is an absolute NO BRAINER for the Mets. Old ass has beens like Delgado, Pedro, Glavine, Green are coming off the books just as Santana and Wright come into big money. The timing is perfect. The Twins are IDIOTS for not getting Fernando Martinez though instead of one of thoe pitchers or even instead of Gomez.

It's bad for Twins fans, it's not bad for "baseball".

WOOOO HOOOO OMAR!!!!!!!!

Comment

that blows..

Comment

Originally posted by coreyschucky View Post
              Mets have a 72hr window to work out an extension. The window started early this afternoon.

5 yrs $120 million is the word I'm hearing. He wants a 7 year deal but the Mets have long been adamant about not going beyond 4-5 years for pitchers. This way he gets his money and the Mets are still not locked in long term. Makes sense I guess. I'd personally give him whatever he wants (within reason). He's a fastball/changeup pitcher.

Will be interesting to see what the final numbers are and how they work it out!!! Ohhhhh baby I'm a happy dude right now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
                5 yrs $120 million is the word I'm hearing. He wants a 7 year deal but the Mets have long been adamant about not going beyond 4-5 years for pitchers. This way he gets his money and the Mets are still not locked in long term. Makes sense I guess. I'd personally give him whatever he wants (within reason). He's a fastball/changeup pitcher.

Will be interesting to see what the final numbers are and how they work it out!!! Ohhhhh baby I'm a happy dude right now!!!!!

He'll get 6 years and probably a mutual option for years 7 and 8. That's how I see the Mets appeasing him. If I'm the Mets I make the front end of the contract heavy on the dollars and the back end lighter so when his stuff diminishes there not paying an astronomical amount of money for an average pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
                  Why? The Mets have stood pat at under $110-115 million
                  :laughing: lmao. Were you able to type that without laughing? Wow...the Mets "stood pat" under 115 Million. Such frugal-ness! They should change their name to Les Expos.

They were still the 3rd highest payroll in MLB, Cuse.

IMO, it is bad for baseball, because once again, a small market team is forced to re-load because they can't afford one of their stars, and forced to send them to one of the perennial top 5 spending teams in baseball.

I agree though...in this system...a great pickup for the Mets, and a great day for Mets fans...they definitely addressed their one weakness!

Congrats :thumbs:

Comment

:laughing: lmao. Were you able to type that without laughing? Wow...the Mets "stood pat" under 115 Million. Such frugal-ness! They should change their name to Les Expos.

IMO, it is bad for baseball, because once again, a small market team is forced to re-load because they can't afford one of their stars, and forced to send them to one of the perennial top 5 spending teams in baseball.

I agree though...in this system...a great pickup for the Mets, and a great day for Mets fans...they definitely addressed their one weakness!

Minnesota had the money to afford Santana but they chose not to sign him. It's not the fault of the Mets or big market clubs.

Comment

Minnesota had the money to afford Santana but they chose not to sign him. It's not the fault of the Mets or big market clubs.
                      Nope....Minny couldn't afford to sign everyone that was up for new deals, or they would have.
                      I never said it was the Mets fault....great pickup for them in this current system.

Comment

He'll get 6 years and probably a mutual option for years 7 and 8. That's how I see the Mets appeasing him. If I'm the Mets I make the front end of the contract heavy on the dollars and the back end lighter so when his stuff diminishes there not paying an astronomical amount of money for an average pitcher.
                        I don't think there's any way on Earth he gets over 6 years. It's just their philosophy. The might pile up money over the 5-6 years, but I don't see Wilpon or Minaya allowing a 7 year contract to a pitcher, even if it it Johan. The basically told Zito to go shove it when he demanded seven years.

Comment

such a f'n awful deal by the twins.....pisses me off being a phills fan, they didnt even give up fernando whatever the hell his name is, and fricking Humber blows...Carlos Gomez for Santana....how can you take that deal when u had the chance to get Ellsbury, Lester, Hughes, Cabrera, guys that are actually good
                          .....mets absolutely robbed the twins
                          To A Phillies World Series :beerbang:

Flyers and Eagles --- its your turn:beerbang:

1 unit=25 dollars
                          2 units=50, etc.. and so on

Comment

Couple things JML - I looked it was $115 last year and yes it was 3rd. My point is though that to say it's bad for baseball implies, to me personally, that the you are insinuating that the Mets are just like the Yankees and Red Sox. Maybe I am incorrect there so I apologize if so, but that's the feeling I got. I'm not saying the Mets don't have an advantage over other teams being in NY and having SNY as their new network and what-not, but to imply them getting Johan is bad for baseball me thinks was a stretch.

The fact is that "small market" baseball is not what it was 10 years ago. Times have changed. and the "have nots' are not as plentiful as they use to be. 15 teams have payrolls at, or above, $87 million last year. The Twins payroll last year was $71.5 million dollars and they just spent a ton of money of Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, and Michael Cuddyer. They also have one of, if not the richest, owner(s) in baseball and are moving into a new stadium which will generate plenty of new revenue. So must we really cry tears for them? It's not like their payroll is $30 million and they can't operate their day today goings-on.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyFan3 View Post
                              such a f'n awful deal by the twins.....pisses me off being a phills fan, they didnt even give up fernando whatever the hell his name is, and fricking Humber blows...Carlos Gomez for Santana....how can you take that deal when u had the chance to get Ellsbury, Lester, Hughes, Cabrera, guys that are actually good
                              .....mets absolutely robbed the twins
                              THIS IS 100% CORRECT. It's a joke they didn't demand Fernando Martinez. Getting Phil Hughes or Jacoby Ellsbury, plus another prospect or two with both, would have been much better. Mulvey and Humber are nobodies, IMHO and Guerra is so young and unknown.

Comment

Working...
                              X