This Just In!!!! Mets Get Santana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
    Exactly. Why does everything have to be compared with NYY/BOS/LAD/NYM/LAA??? Admittedly, they have advantages, yes. Cleveland can afford to pay Sabbathia, don't kid yourself. Maybe if they didn't give juicebag Hafner way too much money after one good year, then they would be able to more readily accomodate CC, huh?

Teams too often use the "tv revenue" as a crutch.... Detroit is a ******* hole, with no tv revenue yet the poorest city in all of America (I realize the Tigers are privately owned, but the TV revenue is nothing) can pay people, so why can't Cleveland? Why is Toronto's payroll higher than Cleveland's ($30 million more) when the Tribe sell out plenty of games and the Jays haven't seen north of half a stadium (except Yanks and Red Sox games) in nearly a decade??? The freaking Padres paid Peavy so why can't the cheap ass Cleveland owner smack the cobwebs off his wallet and pat Sabathia??? The Oakland A's spent nearly $20 million more last year on payroll than Cleveland and they have to cover half the stadium seats to get their games on national television. The honest truth is, that while it's admittedly A LOT harder for the Indiaans to do this than it is the Mets, the fact remains they still CAN do it. If you're an owner and you aren't willing to pay a guy like Sabbathia, sell your team. Pay him his money and you have him and Carmona locked up for 4-5 years since Fausto is NOWHERE near arbitration or free agency. The two of them alone guarantee you at least a shot at a playoff birth for the next half decade - oh, and btw they have Sizemore locked up ridiculously cheap trough 2012 (max salary is $8.5 million in 2012) so don't give me the argument that they have to pay him soon, cause they don't.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying that argument.
    I guess Hafner's back-to-back 1.000+ OPS(and another at .993) seasons are worth nothing now? :laughing:

And paying one single player like Sabathia, Peavy, etc. is not a good example at all. They will only be able to pay that one player, and a couple similar, that amount over a long term before they go bankrupt. It is not like in LA and NY where they can afford to pay half their roster 9-figures and not worry about losing the young guys, because they will soon be getting their enormous deals.

Also, some owners have more money than others and are willing to spend that money(while losing personal profit) in order to win. You can't really paint every owner with a broad stroke.

Comment

Yeah...Delgado did blow last year...I was more referring to the fact that when he signed the huge contract, he was still in his prime and one of the best...but I was wrong....Marlins gave him a new deal after the Jays deal, so disregard any statement...lol...

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
        that dude was on my fantasy team and he stranded small villages every night on the basepaths..........reyes single...........steals 2nd...loduca K's..beltran singles, reyes to 3rd.......DWright intentionally walked to load them up.........Delgado grounds into a 6-4-3 DP.....
        Small villages hahaha... So true. But let's be honest, if there's a single and Reyes is on 2nd base, he's not stopping at 3rd big guy. Not a chance in hell. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
          Yeah...Delgado did blow last year...I was more referring to the fact that when he signed the huge contract, he was still in his prime and one of the best...but I was wrong....Marlins gave him a new deal after the Jays deal, so disregard any statement...lol...
          Yea, Delgado got the 4 year $52 million deal when he was 32 years old.

And Nitts, I always respect and enjoy your opinions on stuff, but I think you are picking on the wrong guy here. Delgado's contract comes off the books after this season (Mets won't pay him $16 million again in '09, so will do the $4 million buyout). And two years ago, Delgado was the Mets best offensive player going something like 34 and 118. He might have evened finished top 5-7 in the MVP balloting. He's had one bad year in over a decade, and that was last year when something was CLEARLY wrong with him whether it be undisclosed injuries or familial problems with his first child being born. I fully expect him to come back with 30 hr's and 95-100 rbi's this season.

Fair enough on your Hafner points. I just can't stand that guy I guess. I'd much rather put the $10-12 million a year towards Sabathia. By the way, the Tribe sold the naming rights to Jacobs Field this season to Progressive (I think) this year. Where's that money going while the Tigers lock up another young stud in Granderson for a good price? Teams like CLV admittedly have to be forward thinking with their finances and financial mistakes are far more crippling to them, but they could have signed Sabathia to deals like Wright, Reyes, Granderson, Tulowitzki, etc etc etc etc have gotten over the past 4-5 years.

I see they extended CC two more years (in '05) to buy out his arbitration years, but I guess they didn't go far enough and now he's gonna want his $100 million payday thanks to Zito and Santana. Trust me, other than Santana I wish these guys would stay with their teams and it seems more and more they are as the teams figure out ways to pay them. Sabathia though is going to get what's coming to him like we all would. Apparently, the Indians offered him 4 years at $72 million and he said no (assuming I'm sure he will get 5 years, if not 6 from someone). I bet if CLV offered him 4 years $60 million before the '07 season started he would have signed in two seconds. What'cha think?
          Last edited by CuseFan10; 02-04-2008, 07:08 PM. Reason: CC notes

Comment

Yea, Delgado got the 4 year $52 million deal when he was 32 years old.

And Nitts, I always respect and enjoy your opinions on stuff, but I think you are picking on the wrong guy here. Delgado's contract comes off the books after this season (Mets won't pay him $16 million again in '09, so will do the $4 million buyout). And two years ago, Delgado was the Mets best offensive player going something like 34 and 118. He might have evened finished top 5-7 in the MVP balloting. He's had one bad year in over a decade, and that was last year when something was CLEARLY wrong with him whether it be undisclosed injuries or familial problems with his first child being born. I fully expect him to come back with 30 hr's and 95-100 rbi's this season.
            What he said. :thumbs:

1 average year after 10 Silver-slugger caliber years does not make a player "****ty" IMO...

Comment

Small villages hahaha... So true. But let's be honest, if there's a single and Reyes is on 2nd base, he's not stopping at 3rd big guy. Not a chance in hell. Haha.
              lol....i thought of that but i didn't know how else to load the bases....:laughing:
              I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

1 average year after 10 Silver-slugger caliber years does not make a player "****ty" IMO...
                yeah well, he was not given a PEBL championship ring by me for his performance last year.......:laughing:

i didn't read through everything but here, IMO, is the problem. The max contracts are OK and they are not OK. I have never had a problem with a guy making max money if they are worth the money to the franchise in terms of performance, merchandise sales etc...and the team can get its money out of them. The problem becomes that the higher the salaires go, the more it brings up the salaries of the "middle guys" and that is where sports franchises lose. It's the 3rd starter who is commanding 14 a year and somebody is dumb enough to give it to him. I don't think contracts should be tied to what the highest guy gets at your position. So what if A-rod makes 26/year...doesn't mean Alex Gonzales deserves a 5M raise because the highest paid guy at his position just went up. There are so many guys in sports that make far more than they are worth and that is what kills teams. Example is the Reds paying the closer all that money. Rediculous but that is what the market is bearing. You either want him or you don't. If sports could somehow figure out how to curb the middle salaries teams would be a lot better off.

but JMO.....
                I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

I admit to not knowing when Delgado's contract is up. I guess I can take him off the list then, but my point is: Baseball economic are messed up. Guys normally play their through the prime of their careers during their "slave wages" times(please don't take that literally and jump on me). The prime of a baseball player's career, normally, ends right when they are about 29, just around the time most players get their uber-deals. At that point teams are paying for something they did in the past and likely won't be able to do again. This, of course, excludes the "elites" such as Bonds, Sheff, etc.

I love ya Cuse, but when I see ya hatin on one of the most productive baseball players that is in the entire MLB I can't let it slide. Anyone that OPS's over 1.000 for 3 years in a row(I'll give him that .993 year as 1.000) is one of my favorite players.

And can I at least get some love for trading Melvin Mora for Magglio Ordonez last season(I think JB took the ass end of that one)!!

Comment

Originally posted by Underdog88 View Post
                    I love Santana, but this pickup will make it that much funnier when the Mets choke again this year
                    :party:

Comment

• bump

I hate the baseball forum having "fantasy nascar" as the top thread...

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                        bump

I hate the baseball forum having "fantasy nascar" as the top thread...
                        That was driving me bonkers too... haha, nice work.

Comment

• Santana had his first practice yesterday and a rookie catcher took him deep.

Comment

• Originally posted by V3r1f13d View Post
                            Santana had his first practice yesterday and a rookie catcher took him deep.
                            I agree....horrible trade...he's done...

Comment

• Dustin McGowan....Fantasy diamond in the rough......AL.....Cy young this year...you heard it here first.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                                I agree....horrible trade...he's done...
                                Ha, are you serious?
                                I was just saying, the guy isn't untouchable...

Comment

Working...
                                X