No announcement yet.

This Just In!!!! Mets Get Santana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the 4th or 5th time, I never said he would get 27. I said in this kind of situation, with the time limit and the Mets fans frothing, his agent should demand 27 per to be a prick. I guessed he would get 24 per.

Congrats, Kreskin. lol.
    Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 02-02-2008, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
      For the 4th or 5th time, I never said he would get 27. I said in this kind of situation, with the time limit and the Mets fans frothing, his agent should demand 27 per to be a prick. I guessed he would get 24 per.

Congrats, Kreskin. lol.
      Haha, thanks. For the record, the "shove it up your ass" was not at all intended personally towards you, meant it in a general state of shove those numbers up his agent's ass. There should be a lock on this website or like a breathalizer test for intoxicated people, hahaha....

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
        Why? Please don't even compare the Mets to the Yankees or Red Sox. The Mets have stood pat at under $110-115 million and now they lose Glavine's $10 million and will gain Santana's contract (which this year is only $13.25). After next year BOTH Delgado and Pedro come off the books so this is an absolute NO BRAINER for the Mets. Old ass has beens like Delgado, Pedro, Glavine, Green are coming off the books just as Santana and Wright come into big money. The timing is perfect. The Twins are IDIOTS for not getting Fernando Martinez though instead of one of thoe pitchers or even instead of Gomez.

It's bad for Twins fans, it's not bad for "baseball".

WOOOO HOOOO OMAR!!!!!!!!

I agree whole heartedly with JML. How many teams in MLB could have paid this contract? Maybe 6? That is not good for baseball. The fact that a bunch of other overpaid players are coming off the books means nothing. The only way teams like Minn, Cle, Sea, Oak, etc can survive is with good management. Otherwise they become teams like Mil, Pitt, KC, TB that in my opinion will never play in the playoffs again (or ever). Every superstar free agent ends up in either Boston, NY or LA. It is not good for baseball. NY, Boston and LA teams can have many of these 8 figure guys. Most others cannot afford one.

CC Sabathia, arguably the best pitcher Cleveland has had in decades is in contract negotiations with Cleveland right now and the money is nowhere near what Santana got....and CC wants to stay in Cle....that is what blows. Reminds me exactly of the situations with Ramirez and Thome.
        Go Boilers!
        Thru 9/2

14-11 +6.18 units

5* 1-0
        4* 0-2
        3* 8-7
        2* 3-1
        2H 2-1

Comment

Nice job by the Mets. Looks like they really ended up getting just what they wanted.
          Good job by them.

I guess this does at least get Santana out of the damn AL Central anyway...lol
          If it ain't fun, don't do it!

Comment

Originally posted by BoilerBacker View Post
            I agree whole heartedly with JML. How many teams in MLB could have paid this contract? Maybe 6? That is not good for baseball. The fact that a bunch of other overpaid players are coming off the books means nothing. The only way teams like Minn, Cle, Sea, Oak, etc can survive is with good management. Otherwise they become teams like Mil, Pitt, KC, TB that in my opinion will never play in the playoffs again (or ever). Every superstar free agent ends up in either Boston, NY or LA. It is not good for baseball. NY, Boston and LA teams can have many of these 8 figure guys. Most others cannot afford one.

CC Sabathia, arguably the best pitcher Cleveland has had in decades is in contract negotiations with Cleveland right now and the money is nowhere near what Santana got....and CC wants to stay in Cle....that is what blows. Reminds me exactly of the situations with Ramirez and Thome.
            I still think that horrible players getting enormous contracts is more of a problem than Santana getting his money. If a guy like Ted Lilly gets $10 million per, what is Johan supposed to do? It is teams paying ****ty players huge contracts(Delgado, Glavine, Lilly, etc.) that ruins the game. I used to love to watch baseball, but I'm not a Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, or Angels fan so it's somewhat pointless to wait for that one year out of every 6 that you can hope to make the playoffs. Oh well, at least hockey runs in to june and training camp starts in July :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by NittanyLions94 View Post
              I still think that horrible players getting enormous contracts is more of a problem than Santana getting his money. If a guy like Ted Lilly gets $10 million per, what is Johan supposed to do? It is teams paying ****ty players huge contracts(Delgado, Glavine, Lilly, etc.) that ruins the game. I used to love to watch baseball, but I'm not a Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, or Angels fan so it's somewhat pointless to wait for that one year out of every 6 that you can hope to make the playoffs. Oh well, at least hockey runs in to june and training camp starts in July :thumbs:
              Delgado is a ****ty player? :dunno:
              When he signed that contract he was one of the top 5 hitters in the AL...

Comment

Why can't Cleveland spend more money? They sell out the Jake almost every game, dont they:dunno:

Comment

I love Santana, but this pickup will make it that much funnier when the Mets choke again this year

Seriously though, I can't even imagine what kind of lines he'll be laying this season!
                  Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Underdog88 View Post
                    Seriously though, I can't even imagine what kind of lines he'll be laying this season!
                    yeah...whats that first Santana vs Marlins line going to be? -500?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
                      Why can't Cleveland spend more money? They sell out the Jake almost every game, dont they:dunno:
                      No TV revenue compared to NY/Bos/LA...

Comment

No TV revenue compared to NY/Bos/LA...
                        How does Cleve TV revenue compare with Detroit?

Comment

Yeah....Cleveland has always been kinda cheap I guess, eh?

Comment

Exactly. Why does everything have to be compared with NYY/BOS/LAD/NYM/LAA??? Admittedly, they have advantages, yes. Cleveland can afford to pay Sabbathia, don't kid yourself. Maybe if they didn't give juicebag Hafner way too much money after one good year, then they would be able to more readily accomodate CC, huh?

Teams too often use the "tv revenue" as a crutch.... Detroit is a ******* hole, with no tv revenue yet the poorest city in all of America (I realize the Tigers are privately owned, but the TV revenue is nothing) can pay people, so why can't Cleveland? Why is Toronto's payroll higher than Cleveland's ($30 million more) when the Tribe sell out plenty of games and the Jays haven't seen north of half a stadium (except Yanks and Red Sox games) in nearly a decade??? The freaking Padres paid Peavy so why can't the cheap ass Cleveland owner smack the cobwebs off his wallet and pat Sabathia??? The Oakland A's spent nearly $20 million more last year on payroll than Cleveland and they have to cover half the stadium seats to get their games on national television. The honest truth is, that while it's admittedly A LOT harder for the Indiaans to do this than it is the Mets, the fact remains they still CAN do it. If you're an owner and you aren't willing to pay a guy like Sabbathia, sell your team. Pay him his money and you have him and Carmona locked up for 4-5 years since Fausto is NOWHERE near arbitration or free agency. The two of them alone guarantee you at least a shot at a playoff birth for the next half decade - oh, and btw they have Sizemore locked up ridiculously cheap trough 2012 (max salary is $8.5 million in 2012) so don't give me the argument that they have to pay him soon, cause they don't.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying that argument.
                            Last edited by CuseFan10; 02-04-2008, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Delgado is a ****ty player? :dunno:
                              When he signed that contract he was one of the top 5 hitters in the AL...
                              I'm no so sure I'd go that far. He was beyond what are seen as the "prime years" of a baseball player's career and they inked him to a huge deal. That happens far too often. Players are underpaid while in their "prime years" and then get overpaid after those years end. He OPS'd just above .700 this year, that is just ******* pathetic, even worse for the Mets because they are on the hook for a few more years(as far as I understand). Signing a 34 year old baseball player to a huge contract is normally not good business, and once they start to decline, the rest of the elite players say, "Hey look at [insert declining ex-star here], they are making [enter huge amount of money here] and I am MUCH better than they are. PAY ME!"

Some baseball GM's should not be mistaken for shrewd business men. Just because Omar Minaya, Brian Cashman, and some other GM's have a blank check does not make them a great GM.

*steps off soap box*

Comment

Originally posted by NittanyLions94 View Post
                                I'm no so sure I'd go that far. He was beyond what are seen as the "prime years" of a baseball player's career and they inked him to a huge deal. That happens far too often. Players are underpaid while in their "prime years" and then get overpaid after those years end. He OPS'd just above .700 this year, that is just ******* pathetic, even worse for the Mets because they are on the hook for a few more years(as far as I understand). Signing a 34 year old baseball player to a huge contract is normally not good business, and once they start to decline, the rest of the elite players say, "Hey look at [insert declining ex-star here], they are making [enter huge amount of money here] and I am MUCH better than they are. PAY ME!"

Some baseball GM's should not be mistaken for shrewd business men. Just because Omar Minaya, Brian Cashman, and some other GM's have a blank check does not make them a great GM.

*steps off soap box*
                                that dude was on my fantasy team and he stranded small villages every night on the basepaths..........reyes single...........steals 2nd...loduca K's..beltran singles, reyes to 3rd.......DWright intentionally walked to load them up.........Delgado grounds into a 6-4-3 DP.....
                                I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Working...
                                X