This Just In!!!! Mets Get Santana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats to the Mets.

The Twins are trying to rebuild it seems. They gave us Hunter as well.
    Bet Detroit fans are happy.

Comment

I don't blame the Mets at all, Cuse....they are playing by the rules. Great pickup by them...especially if you say the didn't even have to give up their top arm! wow. Just frustrating when the rich always get richer. Baseball's same old story it seems.

But hey...I'm almost as happy as you, because he didn't end up in the AL East, and is even gone from the AL completely! :beerbang: :beerbang: (although the Jays did surprisingly fair well against him)

Comment

Originally posted by V3r1f13d View Post
        Congrats to the Mets.

Not trying to rebuild....just had to choose between Morneau, Hunter, Mauer, Cuddeyer and Santana (not to mention Nathan). They couldn't afford all 6. Unlucky to have so many stars coming up for deals. They chose the 3 younger guys, who would not command as much, and had the prime's of their careers still ahead of them, and let the 2 older guys go. They chose right, IMO.

Comment

BOOM!!!!!

i remember posting right after the collapse that the only way they could make it up to me was to get JOHAN, and they got him!!! JOHAN-PEDRO is a devastating 1-2.

i cant believe they kept both Martinez AND Pelfrey. i viewed them as the mets most valuable prospects.

i cant wait to watch the mets beat the crap outta the phils and braves this year. i think we tee off on glavine every time we face him this year. also, i think King Dave is going to be a freakin monster this year, 130+ rbi year is coming for him if he stays healthy.

METS :thumbs:

Comment

Word is the Mets and Santana's agents will be meeting tomorrow but I've read that the Mets are hoping to announce a completed deal sometime tomorrow. Mets are looking to move fast on the extension. Santana wants 6/7 years while the Mets didn't want to give more then 5 but looking at the prospects they gave up I can see them giving in a lil to make sure they wrap up the deal ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
              Not trying to rebuild....just had to choose between Morneau, Hunter, Mauer, Cuddeyer and Santana (not to mention Nathan). They couldn't afford all 6. Unlucky to have so many stars coming up for deals. They chose the 3 younger guys, who would not command as much, and had the prime's of their careers still ahead of them, and let the 2 older guys go. They chose right, IMO.
              To lose Santana and Hunter is a huge loss for a team that was in the shadows of the Tigers for the last couple to begin with. They play great small ball as well but to me when a team loses a star to pick up youngsters, its a bit of rebuilding. Santana is going to win 15 or more games a year, and thats under bidding it. The feeling of knowing you have 15+ games in the basket is now gone, that's a big deal. I think they will do worse this year than last, but I'm sure they expect that. If not, then damn they have put some some great chemistry together. We will see.

For example we (Angels) lost Cabrera, but we got Garland. That's a solid trade right there, for a team that is going to for the ring. Arte would be high to trade Cabrera for a couple Chicago farm players.

Just going to watch out on my Mets plays, not going to jump on the wagon just yet, Santana has to bat now!!! Can't wait to see the first line of Johan starting. Career batting average of .221, not too bad, but just going to play cautious. Hope we don't see the same -220 to -300 ML crap we saw last year.

Anyways, Go Mets!!!

Comment

Well...yeah, of course losing Santana and Hunter is not ideal for them, but like I said, they couldn't afford all 6 guys. I was just saying, they are not blowing up the whole team, to rebuild for 5 years down the road. A rebuilding team doesn't give multi-year huge contracts to Morneau, Mauer and Cudduyer (and soon Nathan). I agree they should have at least got one major-league ready player...but I guess they think they know what they're doing.

Tough losses for sure though....their rotation was thin last year, and will be a huge problem in 2008!

Comment

According to the Minnesota Star Tribune the Mets are expected to finalize a 6yr 130 million dollar deal with Santana today. The question is as Matt Cerrone from MetsBlog wrote: Will the Mets rip up the current contract that Santana has now and just start the 6 years now or will the six years start next year.

BTW - Hat tip to Matt Cerrone from MetsBlog. For the last two months he's been saying the Mets will land Santana for the 4 players they gave up while everyone else said the Mets don't have the players. Fantastic work by him.

Comment

From the Star Tribune about the prospects the Twins received:

CARLOS GOMEZ

CF • Age: 22

Born: Santiago, Dominican Republic

Bats: Right • Throws: Right • Ht.: 6-4 • Wt.: 195

The skinny: One of the game's fastest players, and a superb defensive center fielder. He will compete for a starting job in spring training, but he's not a lock to make the roster. He batted only .232 in 58 games with the Mets in 2007, struggling to hit major league breaking pitches. But he's deemed to have tremendous potential.

Did you know? He signed with the Mets in 2002 as a 16-year-old.

DEOLIS GUERRA

SP • Age: 18 • Born: San Felix, Venezuela

Bats: Right • Throws: Right • Ht.: 6-5 • Wt.: 224

The skinny: Has staff ace potential, although he is at least a couple seasons away from the majors. His fastball reaches 90-94, and his velocity should rise as he fills out his lanky frame. He has a major league changeup, but his curveball needs work. He never has pitched above Class A. He missed some time last year, and was on a strict 60-70 pitch count, because of shoulder tendinitis.

Did you know? Guerra received a $700,000 bonus from the Mets in 2005. Like Johan Santana, Guerra hails from Venezuela.

PHILIP HUMBER

SP • Age: 25 • Born: Nacogdoches, Texas

Bats: Right • Throws: Right • Ht.; 6-4 • Wt.: 210

The skinny: The No. 3 overall selection in the 2004 draft underwent Tommy John surgery in June 2005 -- his first season of professional baseball. He returned in midseason 2006 and his fastball hit the low 90s by season's end. He was 11-9 at AAA last year, striking out 120 in 139 innings. He has three major league pitches -- fastball, curve and change -- and should contend for a spot in the Twins rotation.

Did you know? He started the final game of the 2003 College World Series for Rice, when the Owls beat Stanford 14-2 for the title.

KEVIN MULVEY

SP • Age: 22

Born: Perlin, N.J.

Bats: Right • Throws: Right

Ht.; 6-4 • Wt.: 195

The skinny: Not overpowering, but has good control and movement of a sinking fastball that reaches the 90-91 mph range. He's not likely to ever be a staff ace, but these stats should give him a shot at cracking the rotation: five homers and 48 walks in 1722/3 minor league innings. He was 11-10 with a 3.32 ERA in 26 starts at Class AA Binghampton last year.

Did you know? Was a second-round pick in the 2006 draft after pitching at Villanova.

Comment

Originally posted by coreyschucky View Post
                      According to the Minnesota Star Tribune the Mets are expected to finalize a 6yr 130 million dollar deal with Santana today. The question is as Matt Cerrone from MetsBlog wrote: Will the Mets rip up the current contract that Santana has now and just start the 6 years now or will the six years start next year.

BTW - Hat tip to Matt Cerrone from MetsBlog. For the last two months he's been saying the Mets will land Santana for the 4 players they gave up while everyone else said the Mets don't have the players. Fantastic work by him.
                      One would think Santana doesn't want his current deal ripped up because then adding 6 years equates to the 7 year deal he wanted, right? That guy from MetsBlog has built a pretty powerful and informative media source, which is crazy since he started it just by going to games and sitting in the bleachers and writing reports and his thoughts, good for him. My personal thoughts were that they would take out Guerra or Mulvey and add Martinez, but I'm thrilled they had to. It's boggles my mind that they got to keep their #1 rated pitcher, Pelfrey, and their #1 rated position player, Martinez.

I also have to take anything Neal III of the Minny paper said with a grain of salt because he's flip flopped on who's getting Johan about 50 times and he isn't known at all as a particularly credible source with regard to national media opinion as far as I know. Those numbers do makes sense though. Buster Olney rote that if Johan sticks to his demand of 6 years at $25 million (Which is what his agent opened negotiations at), that there's really nothing the Mets can do about. They have to pay him, because we the fans would erupt and revolt if they came this close and then let Johan go.

Comment

Originally posted by coreyschucky View Post

KEVIN MULVEY

SP • Age: 22

Born: Perlin, N.J.
                        I don't think there is a Perlin, NJ.... :laughing:

Pretty they meant Parlin (in Central NJ), but i oculd be wrong.

Comment

This was the best deal on the current table for the Twins. Santana demanded an end to the whole situation. The Twins could have gotten better deals at the Winter Meetings but Smith made the mistake of trying to play the Yankees vs. Red Sox which backfired. According to the Star Tribune the Twins tried to pry Kennedy and Cabrera along with another prospect or two yesterday but were rejected by Cashman. The Red Sox refused to put either Ellsbury or Lester in a deal so Smith felt in order to end this whole ordeal he had to take the best deal on the table which was from the Mets.

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
                            One would think Santana doesn't want his current deal ripped up because then adding 6 years equates to the 7 year deal he wanted, right? That guy from MetsBlog has built a pretty powerful and informative media source, which is crazy since he started it just by going to games and sitting in the bleachers and writing reports and his thoughts, good for him. My personal thoughts were that they would take out Guerra or Mulvey and add Martinez, but I'm thrilled they had to. It's boggles my mind that they got to keep their #1 rated pitcher, Pelfrey, and their #1 rated position player, Martinez.

I also have to take anything Neal III of the Minny paper said with a grain of salt because he's flip flopped on who's getting Johan about 50 times and he isn't known at all as a particularly credible source with regard to national media opinion as far as I know. Those numbers do makes sense though. Buster Olney rote that if Johan sticks to his demand of 6 years at $25 million (Which is what his agent opened negotiations at), that there's really nothing the Mets can do about. They have to pay him, because we the fans would erupt and revolt if they came this close and then let Johan go.
                            Yeah Matt Cerrone built himself a sweet deal and is even partnered up with SNY these days. Not bad for a part-time job now turned full time. I enjoy the reads on MetsBlog and those guys have done a great job for awhile now and it's about time there getting noticed. So much more informative and believable then some of the shmucks we here on the radio. Neal isn't that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by V3r1f13d View Post
                              Congrats to the Mets.

Bet Detroit fans are happy.
                              :beer2: :beerbang: :laughing: :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
                                Buster Olney rote that if Johan sticks to his demand of 6 years at $25 million (Which is what his agent opened negotiations at), that there's really nothing the Mets can do about. They have to pay him, because we the fans would erupt and revolt if they came this close and then let Johan go.
                                That's what I was thinking....at this point, with post trade negotiations....doesn't Santana's agent have the Mets by the balls? If I was him, i'd say 6 years, 162 million...firm....or you can go back to your fans and say we couldn't get it done....

Comment

Working...
                                X