College football 2024

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College football 2024

Short on time, I'll be back with some picks and reasons and stuff. Want to get in one play now.

Good luck to all this football season.

N'West -2'

Update: all the 2's had prices on them when I went to buy it, so -2', -118
    Last edited by RBD; 08-27-2024, 08:06 PM.

Reason for the Northwestern pick.
    As I said in my college football post on the homepage, it's the start of a new season so I have no data to work with.
    Changes in player personnel and coaches leave team-based trends with little value.
    But league based trends are relevant to me because they're based on years of data, how all teams perform in certain situations, so player and coaching personnels aren't as relevant.

Northwestern grades out as a WF2 (Wrong Fav in the 2nd of three WF systems I use.) One of the strongest trends I have, across all sports, is when WF1 disagrees with WF2 and the WF1 line is > five points higher than the number the bookies have hung on the game.
    Sounds slightly complicated but it's not.

I also mentioned in my column that I'm playing the W Mich/Wisc game Under, and designated it as a "wait to buy play" because the opening 53 had gone up to 56', moving in my favor.
    Right now the board split, 56'/57 now, so waiting was a good move. That's the number I'll grab on this one, buying it now in case there's a late buy back at under 57 from "middle" hunters who took the Over on the opening 53.

GOOD LUCK to all of you this football season!
    Last edited by RBD; 08-30-2024, 10:55 AM.

Comment

From an article of mine posted way back in June:

"I’ve already made my first buy of the college football season, based on a week one system: Oklahoma -39
      Yes, -39.

You might be asking, “Is Chalk Boy ghost-writing this column today?”
      My answer is this: 67%.
      That’s the Win percentage I have working for me on this situational spot. Hence, -39.
      (“Hence” is a word you just don’t get to use enough, but it slipped in nicely there.)

I’m not talking about a short term data collection of one or two seasons for that 67%.
      It’s a four year look back, 2020 through 2023.

And I’m not talking about a small data sample of just a few games. It covers 24 week one games over those four years. And the record is 16-8, 67%.

In fact, in recent play, the past two seasons, this spot is 8-3, 72%."

Those stats include FBS vs FCS games. Remove FCS games and the 16-8, 67% stat is even better, 14-6, 70%

Though FBS vs FCS games that qualify are just 2-2 in the time frame 2020 through 2023, I took time to look at this year's games.
      And the record thus far is at 4-3. At 57% it's a hair short of the 58% or > I use for making plays, but what the hell - it's close enough.
      Its the first week of the season and I'm having a really nice August so I'm going to open it up a little bit.
      Seven games qualify tomorrow and an eighth is a 1/2 pt short and may qualify too if the line goes up a hook.

Let's start with the early game and see if I can bank a unit to start the day.

Tenn -38'
      (Yes, -38'. Chalk Boy is back in action!)

Open bets, forum picks: N''West -2', -118
      Last edited by RBD; 08-30-2024, 04:34 PM.

Comment

If I said one of the plays I developed for picking Unders went 35-5 only people who know me, and know I'm honest, would believe it. People who don't know me would think I'm making it up.
        And I wouldn't blame them, the internet is a BS'ers Paradise.

But of those 40 games, 29 are posted on the internet, dated and time stamped, with a record of 25-4 during the regular season.
        Did I play them all?
        No.
        It wasn't until about five weeks into the season that I noticed that the record was looking really good and jumped on it.

I'm mentioning this because I'm going to list all plays that qualify this year, for record tracking purposes, accuracy, verification, and in case anyone is looking for an angle on any of these games.

These are not recommended plays.
        I may play some of them, I may not. I'm still handicapping my day. If I play one and want to recommend it I'll add it here.

The four year record for this play looks like this:
        2020: 25-4, 86%
        2021: 34-21, 63%
        2022: 34-32, 51%
        2023: 21-17, 55%

I'm going to talk more about this play in my next article for the homepage. It's 1-0 this season. It's the same play I used in my homepage column for the Un in last night's W. Mich/Wisc game.
        Here are the games that also qualify this week:
        Kent St/Pit Un 56
        Akron/Ohio St Un 57
        UTEP/Neb Un 48'

LSU/USC qualifies as an Over (64) but the record on Overs usually averages out to about .500.

Open bets, forum picks:
        Tenn -38'
        N'West -2', -118

Good luck to all with your play today.

Update at 9:30: I forgot to mention that the play I had on Oklahoma last night from my column in June with the "early buy" advice and description of this week one only play has a few more spots today if anyone's interested.

I already gave out Tennessee as a recommended play here in the Forum, the following are the other games that qualify, again for record keeping purposes only, not giving them as recommended picks unless I add them later:
        Memphis, Mississippi, Louisville, Auburn, South Florida, and Oregon.
        Last edited by RBD; 08-31-2024, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Forum Stats
          Recap: 2-0
          Record: 2-0
          This week's play: N Ill/N Dame Ov

Banked a couple units with Tenn (Chalk Boy scores again) and N' West.

The New Play (the one I'm posting here for record keeping and in case anyone is looking for additional angles on a game) went 2-2.
          Kent/PIt was Ov by halftime, never had a chance, and a pick 6 by Akron (I hate the Zips - they cost me a victory in the old Stardust Invitational years ago) in the final two minutes pushed the Ohio St game Over.
          I only used one spot, Wisconsin, for a W in my home page article.

This week TWELVE plays qualify. Never had this many in four years so I double checked the numbers again this morning and there's now THIRTEEN spots (the line movement on the G Tech/Syr game makes that game qualify now, too.)

I don't like this at all, TOO many games qualify. One of my maxims re: sports betting is "What works one year may not work the next season."
          And this many plays suggests something may be different this season, and I may not get the successful results I've had in the past four seasons with this system (see the post above for the yearly records.)

I'll list all plays below but admittedly don't know what to do with them, too early in the season, not enough data to point me in any direction.
          I used one of them in my home page article, will likely see how the early games go and maybe add a late play or two here in the forum.

Here are the games that qualify for Unders this week:
          Pit/Cin Un 63'
          Ark/Ok Un 61'
          G Tech/Syr Un 61
          Jax St/Louis Un 56'
          Mid Tenn St/Miss Un 63
          Marshall/V Tech Un 52'
          S 'Bama/Ohio Un 56'
          E Car/Old Dom Un 54
          Virg/Wake F Un 55'
          Tulsa/Ark St Un 65'
          Col/Neb Un 56
          Tenn/N Car Un 61
          Miss St/Az St Un 59

CLARIFICATION: as stated last week, I am NOT playing all games that qualify, I'm just listing them each week for proof of record and in case anyone is looking for an additional angle on a game.

I'm buying N.Ill/N Dame Over. This play is from one of the three formulas I use to 'cap totals.
          EDITED: the play is the same but I had the wrong numbers.
          This play is a Fade! It was 0-2 last week, but did well at 12-15 LY (last year), 55%.
          This week it has N Ill/ND Under. The combined two year record is now 12-17, 58%, so it's a buy for me.
          Plus, gut feel tells me it's going to be a ND blowout and they'll get me almost all of what I need. They avg'd 43 PPG at home LY and I see them scoring a similar number in this game.
          The opening 46 is down to 44' so I'll wait to buy it.

Last week the Irish only scored 23 vs Tex A&M in a 23-13 game.
          N.IIl beat up on FCS opponent W. Ill, 54-15.

The Huskies are competitive in the MAC but there's a reason they don't often venture out of their conference to play a top 25 team:
          2019 lost to #13 Utah 17-35
          2021 lost to #25 Michigan 10-63
          2022 lost to #8 Kentucky 23-31

Three games in the last five years, three losses.
          All of them saw more points than I need in this one.

Update: In my home page column I used Col/Neb Un, waiting to buy it as the opening 56 was up to 58'/59.
          I said I'd post the # I get in a forum update.
          BAD MOVE, cost myself 2-3 pts. A buy back is coming fast and furious. I grabbed it at 56 as it continues to drop.

Update, Saturday morning: I screwed up again, waited too long to buy the Notre Dame game Ov and a buyback came this morning it's up to 45'/46 now. I'm usually pretty good at determining when to buy a number but that's too bad moves on my part this weekend. I got the over at 45'.
          Last edited by RBD; 09-07-2024, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Forum Stats
            Recap: 0-1
            Record: 2-1

Review: Lost with ND game Over.
            WTF??!!
            The Irish were -28 Favs.
            They didn't even score 28 points much less cover 28.
            They only scored HALF that number.
            They lost SU! As 28 pt Favs!!!

But I have bigger problems. I gave out the Auburn game Un as one of my home page picks, based on them qualifying for the Under play I detailed in post #5.
            But the numbers have changed and it no longer fits the parameters to qualify as a play in that system.
            It will count on my record of course, but not as a play in that system (I have to come up with a name for this play, I need something to refer to it by.)

That play had thirteen games last week. It went 9-3-1.
            This week, early in the week, eight games qualified. After line moves and number adjustments on the data I use it now has two
            Something is wonky with the numbers, it shouldn't fluctuate from thirteen games to two.

The two games this week are:
            App St/E Car Un 60
            Mary/Virg Un 57

I'm buying both.
            Also, I detailed a WF spot in my home page column on the UCF/TCU game. One other game qualifies this week, a Fade against Pittsburgh.
            The Panthers won for me last week and I hate to seem disloyal by betting against them this week, but I do what my numbers tell me to do and the numbers I outlined in the home page article tell me to take W Virg.
            I also mentioned I'd use Fla Int but I'm laying off that one, conflicting stats.

Update: No systems on this pick. Until they lose a game ATS I'm going to ride Mississippi every week.
            Combined score first two games - 128-3.
            Yes one of those was against Furman but I don't care, I'm going to see if I can catch a streak at the beginning.
            Adding Ole Miss.

This week's plays:
            App St/E Car Un 60
            Mary/Virg Un 57
            W Virg -2
            Miss -21

Last edited by RBD; 09-13-2024, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Like WVU and Ole Missy toooooo! GL
              Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Thanks for stopping by Joe Pa.
                The Rebs and Kiffin came through again. W Virg failed us but hope you got in on those Unders.

Recap: 3-1
                Record: 5-2

Got one "buy now" play to share, Fla -6. I don't think this line will get any better, might get worse, so I bought it today.
                This is a D30 play, see my upcoming home page article for the breakdown of the play and the record.

This week's plays:
                Fla -6

Comment

Buy back started on my home page pick. I bought Wash St at -11'.
                  It was at -11 briefly but not long enough for most bettors to grab it.
                  I didn't think the buy back for this Friday game would start until tomorrow, was hoping to get that hook off but -11' is a full FG better than the opening -14' so waiting, not buying the opener or -13 or -12 was a good move.
                  Last edited by RBD; Yesterday, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Tonight's play:
                    S 'Bama +7'

WF1 says App St is the Wrong Fav.
                    WF record is 6-3, 0-2 at Hm, 6-1 on the Rd.

WF2 also says App St is the Wrong Fav.
                    WF2 is 13-16, 2-4 at Hm, 11-12 on the Rd.

That's a wash, I have a solid W % with the WF1 play on the Rd but one game under .500 with WF2 on the Rd.
                    So why did I buy tonight's game?.
                    This is the third time in 2024 that both methods had the same team qualify. The record? 3-1
                    I took the Jags getting a hook-better-than-a-TD for a little Thursday night action.

NP update: Ov 2-3, Un 13-5. Four games qualified for an Un this week after I did my initial 'cap.
                    I used two for recommended picks I submitted yesterday in a home page column going up later today or tomorrow. I was going to use the other two here in the forum.
                    Today, two games were eliminated due to line moves. Fortunately, the two already given out in the home page column still qualify.

Another formula that is working well for me is the A1 spot ("When WF2 says the wrong team is favored and, WF1 says the correct team is the Fav, and WF1’s point spread differential is a TD or more than WF2’s, take the WF1 team.")
                    I used this system for a W with TCU in last week's Hm page post.
                    It's 0-2 in NFL, 2-6 in the WNBA, and 3-6 in college ball. That's a combined Fade of 5-14, 73%.
                    Four games qualify this week. I used one for a Hm page column that was posted yesterday.
                    The other three are Tulane, Cin, and USC.
                    Today's allotted time for 'capping is going to be spent digging deeper into the 3-6 record for this play to get a break down for Hm-Rd, to see if I can discover a higher W %.
                    I'll share the results later today, along with which of the other three I'm going to buy.

Update: forgot to mention, the Fla play is because Miss St fits the parameters for the D30 spot, 2-7 thus far this year.

Plays:
                    Fla -6
                    S 'Bama +7'
                    Last edited by RBD; Today, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X