ESPN boxing tonight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN boxing tonight

Mbilli/Derevyanchenko does not go the distance, +113.

Mbilli (27-0, 33 KO's) throws almost three times more power punches per round than the average in his weight class. Can't see this one going ten rounds, and got a decent Dog price.
    Last edited by RBD; 08-17-2024, 10:01 PM.

Standing in the corner waiting for the fight to begin Derevyanchenko looks nonchalant, not focused, no sweat on him. At 38 years old does he even want to be here?
    First first Bell coming up. I like my position.

Comment

In round 4 of 10 Derevyanchenko tore his left bicep.
      GREAT work by ESPN's cameraman when they captured it and showed it between rounds.
      They ran the replay in slow motion. He throws a left hook and as brings his arm back you could see the muscle move from just above his elbow up towards his shoulder. Very freaky looking.

He now had six rounds to go against a powerful puncher, and he only had one hand. He could keep his left up for protection but he couldn't throw any punches with it.
      To his credit, he didn't run away, he still exchanged with Mbilli, but was getting beaten badly.

At the end of round 8 his corner asked him if they should stop it. He didn't say anything. They asked again, and he gave a slight nod with his head. They said they'll give him one more round before throwing in the towels so he doesn't get hurt.
      ESPN ring announcers Joe Tessitore and Tim Bradley repeatedly pleaded on camera for his managers to stop the fight between rounds and all during the 9th, as he was getting pummeled. They correctly pointed out he had no chance at all of winning it and was in danger of getting seriously hurt.

But when he came back from the "one last round" they were going to give him they sent him back out for the 10th (maybe they had the "Goes the distance" prop?)
      And he came out throwing his right hand as much as he could.
      Valiant, but vain.

I lost my bet but remembered why I loved boxing so much, why it's the only sport I can bet on, lose, yet still stand up and applaud at the end of it.

It reminded me why I used to fly out to Vegas to see the big matches and why before retiring to Florida I stopped off for a six month stay in Vegas to watch a few bouts (and ended up staying 10 years, and lucked into a gig writing for Ring Sports magazine and getting comped ring side seats.)
      ​​​​​​
      It reminded me of the best of the sport - two guys duking it out, giving their all.
      And it reminded me of the worst of the sport, why it lost me as a fan - it's a dirty sport. Filthy dirty.
      Crooked commissions, crooked refs, crooked judges, and crooked managers. Mismatches and fixes.

But still, when it's good it's REALLY good.
      The problem is - it so rarely is.
      Last edited by RBD; 08-18-2024, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X